Monday, November 17, 2008

Hidden Valley Ranch


The valley wasn't hidden, but I arrived at night, so it seemed to be! My good friend from living in Santiago, Chile, Jacob Bechtold, below, has worked on a ranch in southern California for quite a few years now. I helped a little here and there during my day there.

Carver Bowen, above, the patriarch and fourth generation rancher (there are up to 7 generations now!) got a water pump started. It was a cool old machine. The Bowens took me in and showed me around their lovely property.



Upon leaving the ranch I went through some of the sketchiest weather that I saw on the trip! Several inches of snow on a pass through the Sierra Nevadas meant that I went for 8-10 miles in first gear. If there was a time on the trip when I was going to lay the bike down...this was it. Luckily it all turned out well. Because then I exited down into the desert.


No comments: