Monday, October 20, 2008

No Speedo...or...Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance


That's the speedometer cable above. It should be connected! So, I'm stuck at 39,699 miles. And have been since somewhere on the Olympic Peninsula. I have no speedometer or odometer, meaning I also don't know how much gas I have.


We'll see how my zen and moto maintenance skills are honed and toned when I get parts in from Tim. I'll put on a new wheel as well as new speedometer cable, housing, and drive gear.


I tested my luck and made the trip to Portland with some key parts missing, like the snap ring on the wheel that keeps bearings from moving about! The mix of broken pieces, above, are normally what holds the snap ring in place on the axle. The tabbed washer, below, should not have any jagged edges and keeps the speedometer drive gear in place. Obviously several things went wrong.


The snap ring barely still on the wheel. The mismatched broken pieces above, should be on the wheel holding the snap ring in place.


On a different note...Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance is a very interesting book that I highly recommend. It's quite dense and difficult to make it through; if you do, though, the reading, lessons and journey are enjoyable. Pretty much just a philosophy book with analogies to motorcycle maintenance and everyday life. Mainly comes down to Quality and how we approach things!  What is Quality?

2 comments:

Dad said...

How about knowing what you are doing before setting off on an adventure? That would be "Zen and the art of 'rents maintenance"-glad to see your hands greasy - oily.
I thought in Z&AMM there was a lot of consideration given to the value of knowledge of how mechanical things operate. So glad to see you are following that advice.
Love - Dad

Elie said...

Such a great book it was. I'm still asking myself that same question.