Tuesday, September 30, 2008

I'm Going to Jackson, Way Down in Jackson Town


If Wyoming were to described in a word, I would choose GUSTY. I was blown all over the road in this state thanks to outrageous winds. Areas such as the Wind Indian Reservation and Wind Creek Range are aptly named!

The pass from central Wyoming through Teton National Forest is amazing. The Tetons open up before on the way down. With the fall colors it was breathtaking!



I headed down to Jackson, or Jackson Hole, to visit my friend Kelsey Dayton, who works here at the News and Guide newspaper. She's a fellow Mizzou J-School alum.

The National Elk Refuge is right outside of Jackson, thus the four arches made of elk antlers that adorn the town square.

Kelsey nearly killed me on Monday with a ridiculous climb into Avalanche Canyon in Grand Teton National Park. It was more that I nearly killed myself by failing to bring enough water. Luckily the few sips I took from some streams and lakes hasn't come back to hurt me...yet!



It was primarily a game trail that some hikers dare to take...we spotted a bear, and perhaps her cub, as well as a momma and baby moose! It was an excellent day.


A baby moose and his mother. And the small dot in the lower right of the below photo is a black bear. Higher up was another dot, which we believe might have been a younger bear.

Kelsey also taught me that faking animal calls is illegal in national parks. Yet she couldn't resist when pressured to make her elk bugle. Thus my friend, the illegal Elk Bugler!


No comments: